Frequently Ask Question



Q: What schedule of classes  does Brentwood International School offer  compared to other schools?


A: Brentwood  has a regular class day from monday to saturday from 7:00 am to 4:00 am saturday being remedial class day for those with academic defficiencies, enhancement or activity day for Performing Arts subject. compared to what the majority of private and international schools in the country are requiring. Given this schedule, Brentwood students are able to focus on and engage in their other talents and endeavors such as sports, music, arts, entrepreneurship, and other non-academic pursuits outside of school.


Q: WhereareBrentwood PE classes and sports activities held?


A: Compared to most schools, whose in-campus sports grounds have physical and structural limitations,Brentwood takes its students to nearby country clubs and sports venues where students can avail of excellent facilities and grounds for their PE classes and other activities. . Brentwood takes its students to the venues and back to school via shuttle service.  However, volleyball and badminton and other indoor sports are held on-campus as there are facilities and grounds for that sports.


Q: What are your policies on Homework and Projects?


A: There is daily homework for Math and English which will take around 1 to 2 hours to finish. For other subjects, homework may also be given by teachers as needed, but not everyday.


Q: Should my child be absent, how can I get the missed lessons and homework of my child?


A: If your child is absent and you wish to know the homework he or she has missed, you may call the Office of Academic Affairs as they will gladly assist you.


It would be highly appreciated to contact the Office of Academic Affairs during weekdays.


Q: Should our kids need to go abroad, can we request for special lessons before or after our trip?

How do we request for this? How much would this cost?


A: Should your child need to go abroad, you will need to write a letter addressed to the Head of Academic Affairs informing the period and reason of his/her absence.


Teachers may schedule Academic Consultation sessions when necessary.


The number of days when a child is absent must comply with the Department of Education’s required number of school days for the year which is not more than 20% of total school days.




Q: What kind of international school affiliation, accreditation or linkages does Brentwood have, if any?


A: Brentwood is a Regular Member School of the International School Association a US/SWITZERLAND -based governing body that certifies and accredits international schools all over the world. Brentwood, along with MIT International School Manila, British School Manila, and Cebu International School, are the only four ISA Regular Member Schools in the Philippines to date. Also, Brentwood has hired a  US-national education specialist who helps the school with the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) Accreditation process. The Western Association of Schools and Colleges is recognized as one of six regional associations that accredit public and private schools, colleges, and universities in the United States.


Q: What does it mean to become a Regular Member of ISAInternational School association)?


A: Brentwood provides a full elementary and/or secondary education as well college education in Accountancy, Business Administration, Information Technology, Computer Science, Elementary Education, Secondary Education, and TESDA courses.  Brentwood  meets the Standards for Admission. Regular Membership confers full voting rights and eligibility for election to the Board of Directors on an official representative of Brentwood, as well as access to all ISA  services.




Q: What services are offered for late enrollees?


A: For students who enroll two or more weeks after the first day of school, they are required to take the Late Student’s Program (LSP). The LSP requires Subject Teachers to teach make up classes to late enrollees who need to cover and complete missed hours, topics, and assessments. Late students will take their LSP classes before or after their regular classes. Students who enroll after the first day of school but within the first two weeks are not eligible to avail of the Late Students Program.


Q: My child finished Grade 6. The previous school that he/she attended has promoted her to first year high school. Does he/she still have to take grade 7 or can he/she go straight to 1st year?


A: We follow the last level that the child is in. If your child finished 6th grade in his/her previous school, he/she will have to take the assessment for Middle School 7 in Brentwood.


Q: Until when is student admissions open?


A: Brentwood is open for admissions until the last week of September of every school year.


Q: Are Brentwood  students and graduates eligible to transfer to and/or enroll in foreign schools and universities?


A: Over the years, there have been many Brentwood students and graduates who have transferred to and/or enrolled in other international schools and foreign universities. Some universities, such as in New York, Boston, San Francisco, Malaysia, and Singapore, would directly accept students with only eleven (11) years of education. On the other hand, there are schools in Canada, UK, and Australia, that would require students to spend one year in college in the Philippines, such as in UST and UP first before applying. Again, acceptance would depend on the university upon evaluation of the student’s secondary course finished, transcript of records, and SAT/TOEFL scores.


Q: How is class sectioning done in Brentwood?


A: The Admissions Committee together with the Headmaster deliberate lengthily on every student’s section. This is not done randomly. Factors include in the decision are scholastic marks, emotional maturity, intellectual capacity, social orientation, and synergy of different students.




Q: How do I get in touch with my child’s teachers?


A: Teachers have different schedules everyday. It would be advisable to call the Office of Academic Affairs in advance to notify the teacher’s availability for a meeting if necessary.


Should the teacher not be available, please leave your name, number and relay your concerns. We will get back to you at the soonest possible time.




Q: How do you teach and instill student discipline, inside and outside the classrooms?


A: Disciplining in Brentwood is DISCIPLINING WITH DIGNITY. No student shall be reprimanded by shouting in private or public. Any unacceptable behavior is immediately corrected and brought to the attention of parents/guardians.


Discipline is taught and explained by the concept of life’s consequences, meaning, that every decision or act they make and commit will accordingly merit certain consequences.




Q: What are ESL classes and who are eligible to take this program?


A: ESL stands for English as a Second Language. Most, if not all, international schools offer the ESL program for non-native English-speakers. This is a supplementary academic program for learning American English both in written and oral form, which is facilitated by TESOL-certified ESL teachers. This program has proven to be of great help to many non-native English-speaking students who find it difficult to understand, participate, and take assessments to meet the standards of Brentwood academic curriculum, which is taught in English. The decision of requiring the ESL program for students is based on the results of a diagnostic test of English Skills prior to admission. Parents and guardians will receive regular progress reports on their child’s performance in their ESL classes.


Q: How long are ESL classes?


A: ESL classes are daily 2-hour sessions, which happen before or after regular classes.


Q: Why are there many, if not all, Koreans in one class especially in ESL?


A: Since Koreans comprise the bulk of the Non-Native English speaking community in the Philippines and who are enrolled in Brentwood, it is only natural that there are a lot of them in one section who are all there for the same purpose: to learn English. Also, it has been a common practice among many international schools all over Asia to place Koreans together with all the other Non-Native English speaking students who may not or may happen to be Koreans as well. There have been no reported academic and learning disadvantages of this grouping scheme.


Q: What does it mean if my child is required to take ESL classes?


A: The English as a Second Language (ESL) is an academic supplementary program designed to prepare students with English language difficulty to cope and excel in a learning environment where the medium of instruction is purely English. Students recommended for ESL do not have low IQ or learning disabilities. His/her present English language skills will not help her survive in the regular classroom.


Q: Can I apply for ESL? Who places my child there?


A: No. All student applicants undergo the admissions process, which includes a review of background, grades, and character references of the student, aptitude tests, achievement tests, and language proficiency tests, and an interview of both student and parent or guardian. Results shall determine what program will best motivate and nurture the child. The Admissions Committee places students in Brentwood different programs.


Q: How long will my child have to take ESL classes?


A: Language experts and consultants have recommended that second language learners must take ESL classes for a minimum of one to two years. However, any student who performs well academically after ONE SCHOOL YEAR may not be enrolled in the ESL Program anymore for the following school year upon deliberation and recommendation of the Headmaster and the Admissions Committee. In the event that the child wishes to continue taking ESL classes, he/she may do so.




Q: What are the qualifications of Brentwood teachers?


A: Brentwood hires teachers who are Philippine Regulatory Commission (PRC) Professional Teacher License-holders and who are graduates of the country’s top universities, namely University of the Philippines, Ateneo De Manila, De La Salle, University of Asia and the Pacific, and University of Santo Tomas. Also, some teachers and school administrators have gained their teaching experience from other international schools, here and abroad.


We are happy to share our school’s commitment that we put a big premium on our faculty and school administrators’ PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT. Since Brentwood inception, the school has been investing on seminars and workshops in South East Asian countries.


Q: How are Brentwood teachers at par with faculty from other international schools?


A: Brentwood  has developed excellent opportunities for its faculty and management by way of attending training conferences and workshops in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore, together with teachers from other international schools. The school religiously sends its teachers every year to enable them to be updated with cutting edge trends, techniques, and innovations in the world of International Education. Reedley students are able to avail of and are exposed to the same methods and standards of learning that are prevalent in other international schools in Asia.


LD or SPED Students


Q: Does Brentwood accept students with learning difficulties (LD or SPED) or special education needs?


A: Currently, Brentwood does not have the facilities and programs to accommodate and teach these types of students.


Q: Does Brentwood offer special academic programs for gifted children?


A: Students who exhibit high performance in their academic assessments are given different and separate sets of questions, topics, exercises, and tests, which are more difficult and challenging. Also, there are no Honors or Pilot Classes in Brentwood that separate children with high IQ from the others.




Q: Is SCP for students who have low IQ or learning disabilities?


A: SCP is for students who need the necessary study skills to succeed in a big classroom. SCP is a scaffolding program that will help students to excel academically given personalized attention, strict monitoring, and proper guidance. SCP is not about the student’s Intelligence Quotient (IQ). More often than not, SCP students, when moved to a larger class size, receive academic honors and awards regularly.


Q: How long will my child stay in SCP? Is transferring possible during the middle of the school year or after six months?


A: Any student who performs well academically can and will be eligible for transfer AFTER ONE SCHOOL YEAR upon deliberation and recommendation of the Headmaster. However, there is no guarantee that a student may be transferred from SCP automatically after one year.


Q: Can I apply for SCP? Who places my child there?


A: No. All student applicants undergo the admissions process, which includes a review of background, grades, and character references of the student, an entrance test, and an interview of both student and parent or guardian. Results shall determine what program will best motivate and nurture the child. The Admissions Committee places students in Brentwood  different academic programs.


School Fees


Q: Does Brentwood offer scholarship programs?


A: Brentwood   offer  scholarship programs  to Students with excellent academic performance as of the moment.


Q: What payment plans can foreign students avail of?


A: Foreign students may only avail of the Annual Payment Plan.


Q: Are tuition fee discounts extended by the School?


A: Families with two or more children enrolled in Brentwood may avail of the Sibling Discount.


Q: Why are SCP’s tuition fees more expensive?


A: SCP has a much smaller class size, with a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 8 students per class. However, SCP uses exactly the same textbooks, academic and non-academic curricula, uniforms, and even has the same school ambiance and conduciveness to learning.




Q: Would you approve if we invite your teachers for personal engagements outside school? If not, why?


A: We refrain from having personal talks outside of Brentwood. We would like to maintain a professional relationship with ALL our parents at all times.


Should you need to speak to a teacher, we request that you do so by calling the Office of Academic Affairs and set an appointment to be held within school hours and school grounds.


Q: How do we make an appeal regarding our child’s qualification for quarterly Honors and Awards?


A: You may request that your child’s marks be evaluated for possible Honors for the quarter by writing a formal letter addressed to the Headmaster.


However this will not guarantee favorable results.


Q: How are academic grades evaluated?


A: Our teachers are well guided and trained in giving academic assessments. In fact, every quarter, each mark written on the report card goes through a rigorous evaluation process conducted by the Headmaster, Head of Academic Affairs, Prefect of Discipline, Head of Students Affairs and other teachers.


Q: Is it possible to get a copy of the quarterly progress report and/or quarterly report card for a considerable foreign travel requirement?


A: We discourage requesting getting advanced records of academic performance before the prescribed date of release of Report Card since there may be pending projects and missed assessments that still need to be completed for the computation of final grades. Computations by our faculty and Department Heads are done with care and go through deliberations prior to release of our students’ marks. Requests for a special release must be put into writing addressed to the Headmaster.


Q: Do you follow international holidays?


A: We commemorate some international holidays and feasts but we do not declare a “no school” on these days since we observe Philippine holidays only. School-related activities are tied in along the entire school year to promote Internationalism with focus on the different nationalities of the students.


Q: How are security measures enforced in Brentwood?


A: The School Board, The Headmaster, and the School Administrators provide more than ample security to the students during school hours and during out of school activities. Several security guards are posted in different locations, inside and outside of school, to monitor and look out for any threat to the students’ safety and security. All visitors, including parents and alumni, are required to log in and wear a Visitor’s ID card, upon surrender of their identification documents at the Reception Area. School Nurses, together with the Homeroom Advisers or PE teachers, accompany the students during PE classes and field trips. Regular reporting of all school incidents are documented and evaluated by the school’s security agency and the Headmaster / School Administration.


CCTV Cameras are installed in every corner of the campus.


Q: How can parents/guardians make appeals and requests to Brentwood?


A: Appeals and requests must be in written form and addressed to the proper offices or departments. However, there is no guarantee that the school will be able to grant all requests and appeals. All students and families must strictly abide by the rules and regulations of Brentwood International School